The prepreg has a 0°, +/-60° orientation, is quasi-isotropic within each ply, and comes with an engineered cut pattern for improved drapability. It is sold in tile format to enable simpler and faster lay-ups.
Benefits of the new prepreg are said to include:
- discontinuous fibres reduce layup effort and improve conformability;
- quasi-isotropic within each ply, providing simpler and faster lay-up, and material savings through reduced scrap;
- will produce consistent laminate thickness for less wastage and even heat up rates;
- exceptionally long out-life at room temperature of 6 months;
- outstanding toughness, high glass transition temperature and stability at high temperatures;
- exceptionally low shrinkage improves tool surface quality and reduces residual laminate stresses;
- excellent surface finish and vacuum integrity after machining;
- very low moisture absorption in comparison to epoxy tools.