New to the coatings, adhesives, and sealants industries, the KBM-1083 (olefinic functional) and KBM-4803 (epoxy functional) lines have eight carbons – creating more space between the reactive ends of the silanes. Typical silane coupling agents have three carbons separating the organic functional group from the inorganic silicon end. These traditional 3-carbon spacer silanes create a tighter, more rigid network than their 8-carbon counterparts.
The result of this ‘greater space’ presents a significant myriad of benefits that can be formulated into a wide variety of chemistries for Coatings, Adhesives, Sealants, and PSA applications including:
- Increased reactivity due to easier access to the reactive group
- Improved adhesion
- Enhanced flexibility of the cured resin
- Higher filler content enabled
- Greater alkali resistance
- More compatibility with plastics