When Nike launched the Nike Zoom Vaporfly 4%, the shoe delivered an average of 4 percent improved running economy over Nike’s previous fastest marathon shoe, the Nike Zoom Streak 6. The upgrade to NEXT% represents looking forward to each new race day as a chance to cross the line faster.
Brett Holts, Nike VP of Running Footwear says:
“This shoe is truly the result of our athletes, sport scientists, engineers and designers closely collaborating throughout the entire process of design, testing and manufacturing. We are all so excited to see the NEXT% continue to push the limits of human performance on marathon courses around the world.”
A built-in secret weapon: the carbon fiber
Embedded within the foam is a full-length curved carbon fiber plate that increases stiffness to provide a sensation of propulsion. This supplies energy return: It’s what makes this shoe so ground-breaking. These two elements work in tandem to deliver a propulsive sensation, for speed with every stride.
Embedded within the foam is a full-length curved carbon fiber plate
The technical novelties also include the Vaporweave, a material construction debuting on the upper, which is lighter than Nike Flyknit, breathable and which — critically — absorbs far less water from sweat or rain, so it stays airy and dry over the course of a marathon. Other innovations are also included in this new running shoe, namely:
- The laces which are slightly offset to alleviate pressure along the sensitive part of the foot.
- A thin foam pod inside the heel which has been added, to keep the Achilles happy as the miles add up.
- More Nike ZoomX foam in the midsole to further increase energy return (the shoe’s weight stays the same — even with 15 percent more foam!)
Nike ZoomX Vaporfly NEXT% running shoe | Dezeen
Video of Nike ZoomX Vaporfly NEXT% running shoe | Dezeen
- That foam has been also redistributed to decrease the offset from 11mm to 8mm to provide a more stable feeling and help maximize energy return at the critical toe-off
- Designers merged Kirui, Kipchoge and Farah’s custom traction patterns to improve the forefoot grip so the shoe handles better in wet weather.
- Contoured treads with deep grooves on the outsole facilitate smoother movement during turns.
With key innovations that include Nike ZoomX foam and an innovative carbon fiber plate, the Nike ZoomX Vaporfly NEXT% is designed to get you to the finish line first.
Industries: Sports, Leisure & Recreation