Holistic development of CFRP Type IV pressure vessels
As a specialised engineering partner, CIKONI offers application-specific simulation models that meet the requirements of designing high pressure hydrogen vessels. Thereby, the FE simulation serves to clarify the following questions:
- Ensuring the load capacity and pressure resistance in all usage scenarios
- Geometry definition of the vessel and connection components
- Material selection and definition of hybrid material concepts
- Specification of the layer structure in the dome and shell area
- Implementation of production planning and feasibility studies
- Achievable power to weight ratio and material savings to reduce costs
- Resulting cost estimation
Of course, the company also works with their customers beyond the simulation on upstream and downstream steps such as material characterization, testing and production planning. CIKONI also develops innovative CFRP high-pressure vessels, which achieve a higher installation space efficiency due to new production methods.
New simulation methods and virtual prototyping
Together with Altair, Crescent Consultants (UK) and other partners, CIKONI has now further optimised the accuracy of its simulation models. Using a multiscale approach, the material is first characterized virtually using micro-model approaches and then transferred to the macro-models. Thereby, specific characteristics of the winding, such as the overlap in the dome area or the discontinuous fibre volume content can be better represented.
Thus, a faster development is possible because time-critical material characterizations (so-called “coupon tests”) are reduced and the quality of the simulation is increased. But also the production itself can be better represented and transferred into the model by special methods.